I have done several blogs on how to use the google apis to create dynamic pie charts of lists in SharePoint based on code written by Claudio Cabaleyro and published at endusersharepoint.com. Perhaps the biggest request I have heard is, “How can I use these charts on my secure intranet?” Since Google Apps is an image that is shipped back to you after sending the required data and since SSL is not an option, Google Apps are useless for lists that use secure and sensitive data.
Previous Posts I have done on Dynamic Pie Charts for SharePoint:
If you wish to put more than one pie chart on your sharepoint page, please go to this more recent post.
A recent comment on my blog suggested I look at the Yahoo User Interface or YUI as a possible solution. After a few hours work, I was able marry a YUI pie chart with the JQuerry SharePoint List parser and create a Pie Chart generated by your SharePoint List, that does NOT send you data outside the network.
1. You must have permissions to add web parts to your SharePoint Site and know how to make a view of a list
2. You must know how to copy and paste 🙂
1. This Chart works on the basis of how you group on your list in SharePoint. In the following example, I made a list of projects and grouped it by ‘Status’. Notice that the chart is hidden, that make it possible to chart a list without it actually being visible.
2. Add a content editor web part and copy and past the below code into it. Set the chartkeyword in the code to the name of the column that you are grouping by. You can download a text file of the code at http://www.sharepointcanvas.com/spc/files/SharePointPieChart.txt
3. Download the following zip file at http://www.sharepointcanvas.com/spc/files/piechartfiles.zip and unzip it then upload all the files to a SharePoint Library
4. Go to the files, right click and select ‘copy shortcut’ then paste this address over the link in the code going to Yahoo:
5. Paste the Shortcut over current link in the code
I would recommend that you first make sure the pie chart is working before switching out the file paths. If something isn’t right the pie chart will just not show up. As of this post, posting more than one of these on a page is not an option. I tried and the graphs seem to pick random sizes regardless of what you do to the width in the css. I would recommend using the google charts if you don’t need the security since they are easier to work with.